Saturday, April 28, 2007

Designing: There is a world of Creative Ideas Inside You

There is truly a bottomless pit of design, ideas and ability inside your head but you feel you don't have the talent to do anything with it.

Most folks think that way. Countless times, through necessity and just plain hard times, I've discovered things about myself that I never knew were there. I get amazed sometimes.It's inside you, too. You've just never been determined enough.

Sounds like I'm pushing my own product but the fact is that when I learned how to manipulate my world with mold making, I opened up a whole new world inside myself.

Part of my own succcess came through insatiable curiosity. I always had to know, "How did they make that?"I just happened to have a creative grandmother who lived 700 miles away. When asked if I could find a way to replicate an animals jawbone, in miniature, for a project, I wrote to my grandmother. By hand-written letter, she gave me instructions for building a rubber mold out of rubber latex. It was trial and error but I managed.

I spent a childhood, finding and creating things with raw clay. When I discovered the world of poured ceramics, later in life, it only fed the fires of curiosity. Learning the in's and out's of pouring clay was not enough. I looked to those molds in wonderment and that just pushed me further.

When life handed me a raw deal, I weasled my way out by learning, the hard way, how to design for ceramics and make the molds. I managed to eek out a living while staying safely tucked in the underground world of women hiding from the gun of an ex-husband.

The cherished part of that chapter in my life was the discovery of what all I had inside me, hidden even from myself.Nothing would thrill me more than helping others discover this very thing within themselves.

The ideas are there and you don't have to copy. What is in your own head, can be perfectly marketable.What is it that makes you stop and notice? Flowers? Clouds? Old things? Babies? Puppies or kittens?How about a list of things that spark your interest.

Make one of your own. Something like:Carved and polished wood.Polished stones.Scroll work on clocks.Water fountains.NeedlepointSculptured wall hangings. Old cars.Twisted tree roots.Exotic fish.Snakes.Turtles.Whatever happens to be favorites for you, regardless of how simple.Now realize, you're not alone. Others find these things fascinating.

Those others could be your end customers.Let's say you have a thing for turtles. We'll start there. If a formed object, where all could a turtle be and what could a turtle design do? How cute could a turtle be? Dressed up? A girl turtle with long eyelashes?Could the turtle be a mug? A remote holder? A trinket box? A clock? A bird feeder? A sculpured wall hanging? A sugar bowl? A pet feeder?

Use the same creative thoughts for just about anything. I mean, could polished stones be set in clear resin to make a spoon rest?Let's say you have absolutely no money to experiment. Can you get your hands on a bag of earthenware clay for about $4? What kind of molding material could you afford? Plaster or liquid latex is about the cheapest. With liquid latex, you could make molds to pour plaster objects.

Or if you can afford more, there are numerous different kinds of rubber you can use to make a mold to pour resins.Did you know that you can add just about anything to resin to either add texture or stretch the costs? Sand,sawdust,powders of all kinds. You could find a way to grind up old plastic coffee containers to mix with resin. Not only would that turn trash into treasure, it would give color to your projects and stretch the resin cost.

Don't be afraid to experiment.I talk about molds because only through molded obects, can you continuously replicate your original design. Let's face it, not everybody can sell that 'one of a kind' for big bucks.

Most of us have to find a way to reproduce as cheaply as possible, while cutting down on labor time. Why not let your designing time, pay you back over and over?Here's an idea? Come up with cute and decorative ways to tell people 'No Smoking'? That's certainly on everybody's minds today. How about something cute that decorates the dining table, that is actually a pill identity system for those with bad eyesight? Divided small trays with identifying design by feel. Differing number of small buttons or identifying shapes? Spark any ideas?

If you can come up with items that help people to be more independent in their own personal lives, you've come up with a huge seller. Help people to help themselves or give to the market, something they can't resist. It's cute, it's useful, it cuts down on costs in some way, it feels good, they want to share it.

How about a unique toilet paper holder for the bathroom? I designed one that can store 4 rolls and uses no center spindle but nobody's making it. If you want the idea just give me a holler by email.Take what's in your head and find a way to push those hot buttons. After all, you're not designing just for a hobby.

Of course, if you are designing just for a hobby, you don't care if anybody else likes it. Just do it.What I'm getting at is that there is more to you than you think. Pick up a bar of soap and a knife and see what you can make of it.

Judy Sims

No comments:

technorati favorites button

Add to Technorati Favorites