Saturday, April 28, 2007

Craft Supplies: Don't Always Just Believe the Label

That was the first thing I learned about the crafting world, at the age of 8 or so.
My grandmother was one of those that constantly dabbled in crafts. She had a tiny craft supply shop in southern Texas.
I was "helping" grandmother when she asked me to hand her the mold release. She was pouring plaster into plastic molds. I looked around and couldn't find anything labeled 'mold release'. She finally reached past me and grabbed the Windex.
"Grandmother, that's Windex!" and she replied "don't believe everything you read".

That's the day I learned to look past labels. You see, the windex was a perfect mold dressing for what she was doing but anything labeled 'mold release', cost twice as much. :)

Then some years ago, I was writing and illustrating a crafters newsletter. I was getting all these freebies in the mail so that I could give a review in the newsletter. One day I got a package of heavy thread from the weaving supply. They called it 'warp thread' or 'weft thread', I swear I can't remember now which is which. Anyway, I pulled it out and discovered (by my own experience) it was nothing more than heavy bedspread crochet thread but cost twice as much.

So there you go. When you're looking for ingredients, look past the label to the actual product you need.

No comments:

technorati favorites button

Add to Technorati Favorites